now with twice the despair!
This is ridiculous.
You can stick 17 refrigerators in your pocket,
But god forbid you put a fish in a letter.
Mako is going to be a cop?
A profession that’s been shown as a primarily metalbending/earthbending one? Really? The last time I checked, Bolin’s the one with the earthbending skills not Mako.
Oh wait. Don’t tell me that Mako pioneers the first firebending unit in Republic City PD and that he somehow becomes chief after Lin Bei Fong retires despite his age and SAIKON because he’s a ~visionary~ and a ~genius~ for recruiting firebenders to the department.
Here’s a list of reason why Mako becoming a cop doesn’t work:
- The majority of cops in Republic City are metalbenders i.e earthbenders. We’ve never seen a firebending or a waterbending cop. There might be a non-bending division, but the only benders we’ve seen in the corps are earthbenders and metalbenders. There has been no mention or the slightest hint of a firebending division, so Mako becoming a cop is totally an ass-pull, continuity-wise—unless of course he invents the division himself and if that’s true then
- It’s more logical for Bolin to be one. Bolin is an earthbender, and him joining the police force will be more logical, both story and character-wise. His desire to step out of his brother’s shadow might influence him on joining, and it will allow his character to develop more. Making Mako a cop will be an insult because once again, Bolin has to live under his shadow. Which brings me to my next point:
- Bolin will once again be under Mako’s shadow. Poor boy. He never gets a break, doesn’t he? First Korra, now…this? Even his position as the leader of the Fire Ferrets is a proof that he’s forever second best, because he did not earn it; Mako tossed it away when he became a lonesome cop with his super cool bike y’all and Bolin’s just picking up his scraps, again.
- Mako has anger issues. He tries to set someone on fire. That someone is a henchman of minority descent. And he tries to set him on fire, using his spirit-given skill that the man doesn’t have. This is a MAJOR red flag for potential police brutality. You know the white cops that pulls over black people and other minorities just for the reason that “they look suspicious”? Mako CAN be like that (and I say can because this is a kid’s show and Bryke hopefully have some senses to redeem him asap). Just substitute “white” with “bending” and “black people and other minorities” with “non-bending citizens” and “look suspicious” with “looking like an Equalist” and there you have it.
- This further proves the point that Bryke is licking Mako’s ass like there’s no tomorrow. Seriously. Boy’s got everything: good looks, kick-ass firebending that got praise from a hardened villain, the Avatar as his hot girlfriend, a doting brother, virtually no karma for everything he’s done, and now…a bike and a job as Republic City’s finest. Good for you, Mako.
This idea…this notion…I CAN’T
Sigh Sigh Sigh…….
what do you mean “NOTHING HAPPENED” some bitch might have just died
neopets is so inconsiderate
this was basically my reaction.
To all those men who don’t think the rape jokes are a problem:
I get it—you’re a decent guy. I can even believe it. You’ve never raped anybody. You would NEVER rape anybody. You’re upset that all these feminists are trying to accuse you of doing something, or connect you to doing something, that, as far as you’re concerned, you’ve never done and would never condone.
And they’ve told you about triggers, and PTSD, and how one in six women is a survivor, and you get it. You do. But you can’t let every time someone gets all upset get in the way of you having a good time, right? Especially when it doesn’t mean anything. Rape jokes have never made YOU go out and rape someone. They never would; they never could. You just don’t see how it matters.
I’m going to tell you how it does matter. And I tell you this because I genuinely believe you mean it when you say you don’t want to hurt anybody, and that it’s important to you to do your best to be a decent and good person, and that you don’t see the harm. And I genuinely believe you when you say you would never associate with a rapist and you think rape really is a very bad thing.
Here is why I refuse to take rape jokes sitting down…
Because 6% of college-aged men, slightly over 1 in 20, will admit to raping someone in anonymous surveys, as long as the word “rape” isn’t used in the description of the act—and that’s the conservative estimate. Other sources double that number (pdf).
A lot of people accuse feminists of thinking that all men are rapists. That’s not true. But do you know who think all men are rapists?
Rapists do.They really do. In psychological study, the profiling, the studies, it comes out again and again.
Virtually all rapists genuinely believe that all men rape, and other men just keep it hushed up better. And more, these people who really are rapists are constantly reaffirmed in their belief about the rest of mankind being rapists like them by things like rape jokes, that dismiss and normalize the idea of rape.
If one in twenty guys (or more) is a real and true rapist, and you have any amount of social activity with other guys like yourself, then it is almost a statistical certainty that one time hanging out with friends and their friends, playing Halo with a bunch of guys online, in a WoW guild, in a pick-up game of basketball, at a bar, or elsewhere, you were talking to a rapist. Not your fault. You can’t tell a rapist apart any better than anyone else can. It’s not like they announce themselves.
But, here’s the thing. It’s very likely that in some of these interactions with these guys, at some point or another, someone told a rape joke. You, decent guy that you are, understood that they didn’t mean it, and it was just a joke. And so you laughed.
Or maybe you didn’t laugh. Maybe it just wasn’t a very funny joke. So maybe you just didn’t say anything at all.
And, decent guy who would never condone rape, who would step in and stop rape if he saw it, who understands that rape is awful and wrong and bad, when you laughed? When you were silent?
That rapist who was in the group with you, that rapist thought that you were on his side. That rapistknew that you were a rapist like him. And he felt validated, and he felt he was among his comrades.
You. The rapist’s comrade.
And if that doesn’t make you feel sick to your stomach, if that doesn’t make you want to throw up, if that doesn’t disturb you or bother you or make you feel like maybe you should at least consider not participating in that kind of humor anymore, not abiding it in your presence, not greeting it with silence…
Well, maybe you aren’t as opposed to rapists as you claim.
Just some thoughts on tumblr edits. Don’t get me wrong, some edits are pretty nice (Though make sure you give credit people.) But the majority seem to just be this. I really don’t understand why so many feel compelled to cut off up to half the original image out.
Ah I hope no one gets offended.